Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:44:00 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        =?Windows-1252?Q?Ari_Sigur=F0sson?= <bsd@hrappur.solver.is>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: messages on screen

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:05:28 +0100, =?Windows-1252?Q?Ari_Sigur=F0sson?= wrote:

> sorry if I forgot to mention that I'm not rather new to unix
> what is vty and HUP signal?

The term "vty" means "virtual terminal".  When your FreeBSD box boots up
(assuming you don't automatically launch X), you'll see something like:

	FreeBSD (hostname) (ttyv0)

	login:

What's on your screen is a virtual terminal connected to /dev/ttyv0.  If
you press Alt-F2, you'll see the virtual terminal connected to
/dev/ttyv1.

Usually, the virtual terminal connected to /dev/ttyv0 is the console.
The stock /etc/syslog.conf configures syslogd(8) to send certain
(usually) important messages to the console.  I'd recommend that you
leave this alone.

Instead, play around on virtual terminals other than ttyv0, by switching
to them with Alt-F2, Alt-F3 etc.

> another question,  how do I change group so I don't get
>
> "su : you are not in the correct group to su root."

The FreeBSD su(1) utility insists that users belong to group wheel
before it allows them to attempt to change user identity to that of the
super-user (i.e. root).  You need to add your non-priveledged user to
group wheel.

As root, edit the file /etc/group and append your user name to the line
that begins with "wheel:".  You should separate your user name from the
last one on the line with a comma, e.g.

	wheel:*:0:root,sheldonh

The format of the /etc/group file is described in the group(5) manual
page.

Ciao,
Sheldon.