Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 13:09:02 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why 'The legacy aout build' was removed from current ?

On Thu, Dec 09, 1999 at 10:23:40AM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> Are you sure?  Any a.out binaries for FreeBSD are going to be desgined
> to work with 3.x or older.

Why???  A.out runs just fine on 4.0-R, and had better on 5.0-R.

> So producing a.out libraries for CURRENT is silly. :-)

Nope.  You really need to think about the ISV's.  Why do you think
Netscape is still a.out?  ISV's want to produce one binary that runs
across multiple generations of FreeBSD.  Take Applixware for instance.
It is built on 3.1.  It needs compat3x to run on CURRENT.  Don't be
surprised if Applixware is still built on 3.1 when 5.0-R hits the
streets.  What I'm getting at here is ISV's needs are different from ours
as OS developers.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)