Date:      27 Mar 2002 05:47:48 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        William Evanson <evawil823@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Make Fetch resume (Is is possible to do...)

--=-MRgeP1EBW19Oy8iS0uyP

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 04:32, Alan Eldridge wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 08:19:37PM -0600, William Evanson wrote:
> >I installed wget and added the line
> >FETCH_CMD=3D"/usr/local/bin/wget" to my /etc/make.conf file.
> >With the next make install it launched wget and ran fine.
> >I tried to test the program by stopping the fetch sequence
> >on one of the sources near the end.  When I restarted the
> >Make Install is knoticed the file was there and tried to
> >build it without restarting the fetch sequence.  Any ideas???
>=20
> The fundamental problem here is that the *size* of the file is
> not available in the ports system.
>=20
> Strictly speaking, it's not necessary. But it would help add a little
> intelligence to the process.
>=20
> However, let's assume we must work within the framework of the
> current ports system; we can't add the file sizes somewhere. What
> *can* we do?
>=20
> When is our first chance to notice that we might have an incomplete
> file? At md5-checking time.
>=20
> How about a knob that says, if you got an md5 error, try to fetch the
> file again, using a "resume" command appropriate to the protocol by
> which the file is being fetched?
>=20
> I have not done a survey yet on the existing hordes of PRs requesting a
> resumption feature to see if anybody figured this out yet. But I will.
>=20
> Comments? Opinions: could you live with having to set a knob on your
> make command line, like "make -DRESUME_FETCH"? Committers/portmgr@,
> does this sound like a doable, and minimally invasive way to give people
> what they want?

Well, I think that the best way out is to introduce some new target, say
fetch-resume, which will compare checksums of all files and if some of
them don't match it will try to resume download. This will ensure that
the luser knows what he is doing. Proposed `RESUME_FETCH' knob doesn't
look as a very good idea for me, because naive users will just define it
in make.conf and then have a problems each time when checksum changes
while the name of the distfile remains the same.

-Maxim

--=-MRgeP1EBW19Oy8iS0uyP

--=-MRgeP1EBW19Oy8iS0uyP--