Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 14:31:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        gurney_j@efn.org, terry@cs.weber.edu, matt@lkg.dec.com, vernick@cs.sunysb.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PCI/EISA/ISA performance

> > On Tue, 4 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > ISA does not have a specified clock frequency, I have seen it running
> > > as fast as 16Mhz.  Most boards die above 10Mhz, but some of the more
> > > specialized industrial applications boards are spec'd upto 12 or 16Mhz.
> >
> > actually... I think that I am currently running my isa bus at 16mhz... I
> > think for a while I was tring to run the bus at 20... but it was falling
> > over and wouldn't boot...  and this is with ne2000 clone cards... and
> > other generic cards...
>
> I suspect you are off by a factor of 2, I haven't seen a ``generic''
> card of any sort that would run at 12Mhz, let alone 16Mhz.  IDE controllers
> are famous for falling over above 10Mhz (ever done a transmission line
> simulation of an unterminated ribbon cable :-)).

I've run an ISA bus at 16 Mhz and the only card that failed was a really
old Isolan ethernet card. A newer version of the card worked fine
as did my IDE and graphics card. I only ran it for a brief period though
since I didn't want to risk it long term. I just tried it to see if it would
work at all.

> Also what BIOS is it?  AMI,  Pheonix, AWARD or someone else.
>
> Realize a 486DX33, 486DX2/66 and 486DX4/100** all run with a CPUCLK of
> 33 Mhz.  A 486DX25, 486DX2/50 and 486DX4/75 all run with a CPUCLK of
> 25 Mhz.  A 486DX50 runs with a CPUCLK of 50Mhz.

486DX33 with AMI bios.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/