Date:      3 Feb 96 11:56:03 GMT
From:      peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a question about boot-manager

terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert) writes:

>> > Let me add that if the sparing sectors were moved to the end of the
>> > 'a' slice, it would have two effects:
>>
>> > b)	The bad sector area could be grown at the expense of decreasing
>> > 	the available swap in the 'b' slice following the sparing area.
>>
>> ...but only if the swap space physically follows the boot partition.
>> Nothing mandates this.

>The kernel's automounting of swap slices "mandates" this.

>The default installation tools "mandate" this.

>We can take a survey and see how many of us have swap on slice 'b',
>but since that is where the install tools put it, it's probably
>99.9% of us -- just like having "/" on slice 'a'.

Just out of interest, the dumpdev must be a 'b' slice.. This is enforced
in i386/machdep.c...
dumpsys()
	if ((minor(dumpdev)&07) != 1)
		return;

This (IMHO) is pretty bogus, especially when I was trying to use a
specially reserved slice for a dump partition that wasn't going to get
spammed at boot.  I never could figure out why crashdumps were not going
in.. I "discovered" this a few weeks ago and let off a scream of anguish
at the hours/days of wasted time from several months ago.

-Peter