Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 17:40:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Onur Toker <onur@ccse.kfupm.edu.sa>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Harddisk > 2GB, what to do ?

[Format recovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Friday, 25 December 1998 at  4:57:57 -0300, Onur Toker wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, 25 December 1998 at  2:01:43 -0300, Onur Toker wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>>       I have a harddisk of size 4.3GB. Can you please tell me
>>> step by step what should I do to use it with my FreeBSD box ?
>>
>> No.
>>
>>> I tried to use /stand/sysinstall but it gave error messages.
>>> By the way, I am using 2.2.1.
>>
>> You haven't told us the error messages.  How can we guess what's gone
>> wrong?  There's no problem installing on disks of this size, though
>> you should consider installing a newer version of FreeBSD.
>
> 	First of all my system recognize 2 harddisks, wd0 and wd2 (No CDROM
> attached, both harddisks are connected as master).
>
> wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC22000L>
> wd0: 1907MB (3907008 sectors), 3876 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (wd2): <WDC AC24300L>
> wd2: 4112MB (8421840 sectors), 8912 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S

OK, the system recognizes the correct size (or close enough to be
convincing).

> Then I go to disk partition editor and generate 2 partitions of size
> 2000M.
> They are wd2s1 and wd2s2.

You shouldn't do this.  These so-called Microsoft partitions, which we
call slices, are for different operating systems.  Create wd2s1 with
the full size of the disk.

> Disk name:      wd2                                    FDISK Partition
> Editor
> DISK Geometry:  524 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 8418060 sectors
>
>      Offset       Size        End     Name    PType     Desc  Subtype
> Flags
>
>            0         63         62        -        6   unused        0
>           63    4080447    4080509    wd2s1        3  freebsd      165 C
>      4080510    4080510    8161019    wd2s2        3  freebsd      165
>      8161020     260820    8421839        -        6   unused        0
>
> Then I write these changes and go to the disk label editor.
>
> 	I see two disks named wd2 with partition names wd2s1 and wd2s2. Then I
> create to file systems
>
>                          FreeBSD Disklabel Editor
>
> Disk: wd2       Partition name: wd2s1   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
> Disk: wd2       Partition name: wd2s2   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)
>
> Part    Mount            Size Newfs   Part    Mount            Size
> Newfs
> ----    -----            ---- -----   ----    -----            ----  -----
> wd2s1e  /usr/home      1992MB UFS Y
> wd2s2e  /usr/WinHome   1992MB UFS Y

Others have observed that these are *very* strange names.  I will also
observe that there is one partition too many here.  Make your
partition the full 4 GB, and mount it under /, not under /usr.  If you
don't have /home, that would be an obvious choice.

> When I choose write these changes, I got error
> messages.
>

>  Message
>        Error mounting /dev/wd2s2e on /usr/WinHome : Invalid argument

(etc).

Yes, this is a bug from whatever program this is (you don't say, but
it looks like mount(8)).  But IIRC you're using a very old version of
FreeBSD.  You could enter a PR and somebody might look at it, but
you'd be better off demonstrating that it exists on a current version
of FreeBSD.

Greg