Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 1997 11:58:39 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        charlespeters@tecpro.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org

At 01:12 AM 3/3/97 -0500, Charles A. Peters wrote:
>I am in the process of setting up an email server, a ftp server, a
>web server, and perhaps a mailing list server (like Majordomo).  I
>already know that I will be using the Apache WWW server included with
>FreeBSD, but I am not sure which ftp server and mail server software
>that I should go with.
>
>This server will primarily be used to allow my collegues and
>customers access to email.  I will be maintaining this server via
>telnet from a remote location.  As I am new to FreeBSD, I am looking
>for some advise.
>
>Any suggestions!?!

Depends on your security requirements.  For a server where security isn't
paramount, I'd go with sendmail and popper for mail, majordomo for mailing
lists, and wuftpd for FTP.  (None of these are known to have security holes
as of today, but with the exception of popper and possibly majordomo,
they're programmed to invite security holes.  All are fairly feature-rich.)

If security was (very) important, I'd run qmail for mail, use aliases for
the mailing lists, and force users to log in through ssh to read mail.  I'd
run the standard ftpd.  (Feature-poor setup, but secure.)

In all cases I'd use ssh with public keys to log in, and use ipfw to block
all ports I wasn't interested in getting connections on.  Telnet and rlogin
would be among them.

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org