Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 09:12:37 -0000
From:      mavilde <mavilde@cmn.comnexo.pt>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   New hard drive

Hello, greetings from Portugal

I'm i good customer of your operating system FreeBSD, i have it
installed in several machines and im getting pretty happy with it's
functionality. Now i have this problem, and would like to have some
specialized help before do something that could destroy my system,
that's this:

When i first installed FreeBSD, version 2.1.7, i had only one hard
drive, these are it's features:

# disklabel -r sd0

# /dev/rsd0c:
type: SCSI
disk: sd0s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 246
sectors/unit: 3967992
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:    65536        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 -
4*)
  b:   151680    65536      swap                        # (Cyl.    4*-
13*)
  c:  3967992        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
246*)
  e:    61440   217216    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.   13*-
17*)
  f:  3689336   278656    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.   17*-
246*)

Now i wanted to add a new hard drive with similar features the main
difference is that it has 4GigaBytes of space. I hadded it, it is
already recognized as sd1 when i run sysinstall. Iīve not done any
configuration regarding this hard drive.

What i wanted to do was to enlarge the actual partitions wich are
already full with no more space left, mainly /var.
Is there any way i can expand the actual partitions to the new hard
drive,or to move some partitions to the new hard drive and change the
space reserved for the actual partitions without losing any data or
destroying the filesystem?

I donīt know if i was very clear i'll sumarize what i want:

My system is full, i'm trying to add a new hard drive so i can fix this
space problem, i don't want to change or loose data stored on the actual
hard drive.

If you could give me some help i really would apreciate it,
thank you very much

Mavilde Anjos
Tel: +351 1 3183000
email: mavilde@cmn.comnexo.pt