Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 00:11:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        nrahlstr@winternet.com (Nathan Ahlstrom)
Cc:        data@dreamhaven.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Broken "at" ?

Nathan Ahlstrom wrote,
> Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net> wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I have a small problem.  Somehow, in the process of swapping out some hard
> > drives, I seem to have broken the "at" command.  Some of my users have
> > griped about it, because they (like me, actually) use it to send
> > themselves reminder notes, and it's a heck of a lot easier than using cron
> > to set up a one-time job and then remembering to delete the cron job
> > again.  Whenever something tries to run with atrun, I get this in my logs:
> >
> > Feb 24 00:30:00 dreamhaven atrun[19405]: cannot create output file:
> > Permission denied
> >
> > I have no idea where "at" is trying to create its output file.  My best
> > guess is /var/at, and I suspect there's a permissions problem somewhere,
> > but I don't know what the permissions should be.  Here's what I have:
> >
> > [61]root@dreamhaven:/var # ls -d at
> > drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  512 Feb  8 11:24 at/
> > [62]root@dreamhaven:/var # cd at
> > [63]root@dreamhaven:/var/at # ls
> > total 2
> > -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    0 Dec 25 01:15 at.deny
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Feb 24 00:26 jobs/
> > drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Dec 25 01:15 spool/
> >
> > I've tried changing the permissions on the "jobs" and "spool" directories
> > to 777, but to no avail.  If anyone has a suggestion, I'd sure love to
> > hear it!  It's probably just something stupid that I've overlooked.
>
> portage% ls -al /var/at
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x   4 root    wheel  512 Oct  5  1997 .
> drwxr-xr-x  18 root    wheel  512 Dec 18 18:10 ..
> drwxr-xr-x   2 daemon  wheel  512 Feb 14 22:10 jobs
> drwxr-xr-x   2 daemon  wheel  512 Feb 14 22:15 spool
> portage%
>
> Mine are owned by the daemon user.

I don't think that should matter, files are written to jobs as the
invoking user which implies root privilege plus,

[162:/var/at] ls -l `which at`
-r-sr-xr-x  4 root  bin  20480 Jul 22  1998 /usr/bin/at

And you never said 'at' didn't work.

As for permissions at job execution, the atrun is started by cron in
/etc/crontab. The line is,

#minute hour    mday    month   wday    who     command
#
*/5     *       *       *       *       root    /usr/libexec/atrun

Correct?

I must say I'm a bit confused myself. I wanted to do some test 'at's
so I loaded some up, but none of them ran. I ran /usr/libexec/atrun by
hand (as root) however, and all of the jobs that should have, ran. I
was playing with the clock earlier... wonder if I messed up
cron... but cron is running,

[101:/var/at]# date
Thu Feb 25 00:07:49 EST 1999
[102:/var/at]# ps aux | grep cron
root       119  0.0  0.3   332  440  ??  Is   Tue07PM    0:00.22 cron
[103:/var/at]# atq
Date                    Owner   Queue   Job#
00:00:00 02/25/99       cjc     c       10
[104:/var/at]# /usr/libexec/atrun
[105:/var/at]# atq
[106:/var/at]# date
Thu Feb 25 00:08:18 EST 1999

Well, I'll SIGHUP cron and see if that gets it in gear...