Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 23:00:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        "Oliver, Michael W." <oliver.michael@gargantuan.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: dd if=/cdrom of=file.iso ??

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> At Tue, 13 Nov 2001 it looks like Oliver, Michael W. composed:
>
> > I have found success using the following command:
> >
> > $dd bs=2048 if=/dev/cd0c of=~/blah.iso
> >

> Great, that worked fine and I appreciate it.
>
> In trying to mount the iso in a loopback fashion I'm not getting
> anywhere fast, normally I'd use the command (in linux) of:
>
> mount -o loop blah.iso /mnt/test
>
> and I'd then be able to access the CD image, in FreeBSD they point
> to the manpage of "mount_null" and it falling a little short (with
> my help of course) of working,

Have a look at /usr/src/i386/conf/LINT and do a search for the vn device.
I think you need this to be compiled into your kernel in order to use a
file as a device. I'm not 100% sure as I never had to do this, but I guess
it *could* work...

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org