Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 08:12:34 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the fs fun never stops

> > > All of them starting with the one after the last one with a "-", for
> > > the commands I can see that have been wrapped...
> >
> > ld foo.o -L/usr/lib bar.o -o fooprog -L /usr/local/lib lam.o -lm
>
> So try all of them, and take the format of the first one that's real.

My usual response would be "you forgot to attach the code you wrote to
do that."  But the technique you're proposing is such a hack that I
wouldn't want the code anyway.

Our goal is not to become a dual-format OS.  Our goal is to get
through the a.out->ELF transition period without too much disruption.
The legacy a.out support is very temporary.  It doesn't justify a lot
of work to make it perfect.