Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 16:50:51 -0500
From:      NOC-IPAD <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        NOC-IPAD <sysadmin@greeves.mfn.org>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   RE: named/sendmail Guru Question...

> A question for the named/sendmail gurus present:
>
> Beginning with our coversion from NT name services to bind (as
> distributed with 2.2.5R), we have had a problem with some (very
> few actually) domains attempting to mail us - AOL is the worst
> of the problems

<SNIP>
I don't understand what you're trying to say here
That's OK Greg, everone *else* understood, and the answer has been
supplied already.  Thanks anyway...

It works fine for me:
As I said, it works fine for [almost] everybody _except_ AOL..  I would
expect it to work for you with that statement, wouldn't you?

Amusingly, the two lines in the middle are a message from you coming
in.

Yes, that *is* amusing...

> (we already filed GNATS on it).

What's the PR number?

1714?  I don't remember actually, but if you search on "named-xfer" you
only see 2 pr's show up: one for a missing binary, and one for this.

> 	Does anybody know what to do about this?  And, are we
> the only ones who have this problem?

I don't know of anybody else.

Nevertheless, we received several replies along similar lines, all of which had
the same resolution.

> Attached is a perfectly typical header from tonights batch of notices...
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 550 sysadmin@mfn.org... Host unknown (Name server: mfn.org: no data known)

This looks like aol can't find your name server records.  This could
be a problem with them, or a problem they have with your stated DNS
servers:

Actually, if you look at the message generated by their hub, it's not that they
can't find the domain or the name servers, it's that they can't find a *host* named
"mfn.org".

> *** Request to ns2.mfn.org timed-out

Came in at approximately 0215, so NS2 was probably in the middle of backing
itself up (it is scheduled to begin it's dumps at 0210), but this _is_ disturbing,
I'll have to keep an eye on this...

They *should* try both name servers, but there's a good chance that
they just time out.  I'd recommend getting your name server fixed, and
that will probably solve the mail problem.

No, the problem was that AOL couldn't deduce that our MX record was for the
entire domain, and not just for greeves.  Fixed with a bogus A record, rather
than the CNAME approach I took.