Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 22:56:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Subject:   Re: Advice Needed - Unix System Admin

Annelise Anderson asked:
 % So, FreeBSD is a good choice for the BSD4.4 type, a point I have sometimes
 % made to computer science students.  But what's a good SVR4 choice--any
 % free ones?  Any versions of Linux that qualify?

Pedro Giffuni S. replied:
 > I guess that would be SCO's "Free" Unixware. Linux is POSIX, but is it
 > really SVR4? (I doubt it).

Not really -- you won't learn about the SVR4 service controllers, used
amongst other things for tty logins and printers, for instance.  This is
one of the nastiest, ugliest areas of SVR4 administration, too.

Has SCO finally released the Free UnixWare?  Last time I checked, they
had the free license to SCO OpenServer, but that is SVR3.2 with lots of
hacking and gratuitous changes by SCO; not quite the same.

All in all, UnixWare wasn't a bad little system when being sold by
UniVel, it was just that FreeBSD was so much better, and so much
cheaper.  ;^)  Still a bargain if you wanted to learn (or write code
for) SVR4.