Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:08:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Wilbur <matt@efs.org>
To:        Andre Fortin <apfortin@cyberbeach.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any FTP Daemon using NIS

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Andre Fortin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	We are running a FreeBSD 4.5 system which is an NIS client to another 4.5
> system.  I've tried every PAM example I could find, as well as turning off
> PAM from ProFTPD, and it can never authenticate NIS-known users.  It
> understands users with local accounts, but returns a PAM error in the logs.
> We run QPOP on the same machine, and it authenticates fine.  I copied the
> PAM configuration line for pop3 and changed the service name (using
> pam.conf, not pam.d/) with no success.  Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions
> of different FTP daemons that might work properly with NIS.

Andre,

We have a few FreeBSD 4.5-R/4.5-STABLE systems that are NIS clients to
IRIX NIS servers, and the BSD ftpd works fine with NIS auth.  pam.conf
entry for ftpd is nearly stock:
ftpd    auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so
ftpd    auth    requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so
ftpd    auth    required        pam_unix.so 		try_first_pass

pam_unix.so should be all you need to hook into NIS mechanisms, provided
your client is set up right...
we also run proftpd on some IRIX hosts that are yp clients, works great
with no authentication-related tweaks..

Odd.  I'm guessing NIS is working fine for other services ?  or not ?

-Matt