Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:13:06 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Matt White" <mwhite@cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PC Card Ether suggestions?

> So I have this laptop that I would like to run freebsd on so that I can do
> some coding when I'm away on business.  The problem is that the only ether
> card I have for it is an SMC 8016T/PC, a card that is apparently supported
> by nobody.

Do you know what it's meant to be compatible with?  The name suggests
that it might be an 8013-compatible.  Alternatively, it might be an
SMC9000-compatible, for which there is an ISA driver (with no pccard
support).

> This is not necessarily the end of the world since other ether cards exist.
> What I would like are suggestions as to which PC Card ether adaptors work
> well with freebsd.  I would prefer a 10/100 card, but that is not a
> requirement.

I generally recommend NE2000 clones; the Accton EN2216 is a good
example, there are plenty of others.  Check the mailing list archive
for the -mobile list (where this sort of thing is asked about twice a
week) for more suggestions.