Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:09:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, "William Woods" <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Subject:   Re: Alpha and ports.....

Excerpts from mail: 15-Mar-99 Alpha and ports..... by "William Woods"@cybcon.c
> The question I have is this....how are the ports on the alpha distro,
> specifically, I am interested in Netscape, WP8. How well do these compile?
> And maby StarOffice 4.0 also.

  You picked the exact ports which don't work on the alpha ;)  The main
problem is, of course, that none of them compile, they are all third
party binaries  (although there was a post about someone on this list
compiling Netscape, is that progressing well?).

  Netscape has shown great interest in providing an alpha binary, I
can't say anything for WP8 and StarOffice, but would speculate that if
there begin to exist alpha-linux binaries we would want, that'd be a
good direction to move it.  As things stand I'll bet compaies which only
natively support linux wouldn't support alpha-linux for the same
reasons, too small a market.

  From my experience, just about anything that compiles either works
natively, or can be made to work on the alpha unixies.  A few things,
such as Emacs, gdb, and sml/nj dig a little more 'into the guts' of
executables and also need patches to work; patches for the first two
exist.