Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 06:57:26 -0600
From:      "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ucd-snmp on FreeBSD 2.1.5 RELEASE

I have a question on ucd-snmp. I installed the port and it runs fine but
part of it's behavior I don't understand.

When make was running configure, I selected SNMP2AUTH for the type
of security desired. I have not, however, created or edited any of the
security related files (party, view, etc.).

When I queried the bsd box from netguard on a PC, I supplied a
community of public and it returned the info. I supplied a community
of private and it let me change several variables. I thought if I selected
SNMP2AUTH it would reject requests unless things were setup in
the config files. Why is it allowing 'public' and 'private' in the first
place, and second if it has to be this way where can I change the
community names 'public' and 'private'.

Also the docs for the config files don't seem to exist (party.conf,
view.conf, context.conf, and acl.conf). Does anyone know where
I can get more neophyte oriented docs on these files configuration?

Lastly, if anyone knows, does netguard support querying via SNMP2
or is it SNMP1 only?

Thanks for any pointers!
Jay L. West