Date:      03 Aug 2003 17:14:46 -0700
From:      Frank Jahnke <frank@frankjahnke.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mouse/X11 Documentation and Moused

List,

I'm sending this summary of my efforts to get the wheel mouse to work in
FreeBSD 4.8 and XFree86 4.3.  I sent along a couple of messages earlier,
but they seemed to get muddled...

There are two ways to get the wheel mouse to work.  I have succeeded
only if X11 does the translations, but not using moused.  I would like
to do this...  Has anyone succeeded in getting a wheel mouse to scroll
in X with moused translation?

X11 Translations:

First, remove or comment out the line moused_enabled="YES" in
/etc/rc.conf if it is present. This turns off moused, which was the root
of my problems.  Then in /etc/X11/XF86Config use the following:

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol" "auto"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/psm0"
    Option      "Buttons" "5"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

I've left out various other options from InputDevice; these can be added
back in if you like.  Note that my Identifier is Mouse0, which
corresponds to my CorePointer at the end of XF86Config.  The line
setting Buttons to 5 is probably superfluous, but I didn't check that.

So the documentation in the FAQ is correct, AS LONG AS MOUSED IS
DISABLED, and YOU USE A CONSISTENT IDENTIFIER FOR INPUTDEVICE.  I had
had moused running, which caused the above to fail.

Moused Translations.

Alas, this does not work yet.  I'm still setting up FreeBSD, so I am
spending a LOT of time editing configuration files, particularly for X.
I do most of these in the console window; I'd really like to keep the
mouse working here.

So, I did the following: activate in moused in rc.conf as

moused_enable="YES"
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_type="auto"
moused_flags="-z 4"
allscreens_flags="-m on"

which also enables the mouse for the virtual consoles.  Before enabling
moused, "moused -p /dev/psm0 -i all" gives "/dev/psm0 ps/2 sysmouse
MouseMan+", so BSD is correct in detecting my hardware.  The file
/etc/X11/XF86Config contains:

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "Protocol" "auto"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option      "Buttons" "5"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

It doesn't matter if ZAxisMapping is removed or not -- this does not
work.

So -- has anyone succeeded in getting a wheel mouse to scroll in X with
moused translation?

Frank