Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2014 14:13:21 -0700
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>, sbruno@freebsd.org
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Resuming old EFI project

On 09/14/14 13:05, Eric McCorkle wrote:
> On 09/14/2014 13:37, Sean Bruno wrote:
>> There's been quite a bit of work in this space and people are already
>> booting their laptops and such from the UEFI enabled boot loader.
>
> That's excellent.  I had assumed nobody had worked on it.

This will be part of 10.1, by the way.

>> What specifically are you looking to work on?
>>

> Well, I had been trying to get it to boot on a mac EFI implementation
> as well.  There's some funny things that have to happen there
> (notably, an HFS+ image).

People seem to have had luck with our FAT32 EFI system partitions on
macs so far, but this in general is one of the big missing bits: hunting
down weird firmwares, testing them, and fixing them when they don't
work. We also need the EFI boot1 both to (a) have a better algorithm for
finding the right UFS partition to boot from and (b) learn how to boot
from ZFS as well as UFS.

> I know there's also some secure booting features in EFI (my new laptop
> supports them), not sure if anyone's done anything with them.

No one has done anything on this front yet, so far as I know.
-Nathan