Date:      Fri, 09 Apr 1999 13:11:09 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, dick@tar.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cc -pthread and -kthread switches

John

Amancio was right. This is a Native FreeBSD Kernel Thread issue.
I'm not trying to make us into Linux or corrput FreeBSD in any way.

Richard (dick@lt.tar.com) has done a great job of getting native FreeBSD
kernel
threads running on FreeBSD, by porting the linuxthreads (linux ptheads)
library
to be a Native FreeBSD library.

You can take pthreaded code and make it run over both CPUs in my SMP
machine
using Dicks port of linuxthreads to native freebsd and Luoqi's SMP
patches.

Userland pthreads make no use of SMP machines at all.

The -DLINUXTHREADs is only there to specify the right pthread header
files.
(If I build userland pthreads, I want the normal header files)
(If I build Kernel pthreads, I need different header files, selected by
-DLINUXTHREADS)

Perhaps it should have been called -DKERNELTHREDS if that makes you feel
better.

> I think the idea here is to motivate "someone" to write a kernel threads
That is what Dick is trying to do.

Take a look at http://lt.tar.com

> > Yuk. Please don't corrupt FreeBSD with Linux.
> > And for those of us who choose to use _FreeBSD_,
> > allow us to live in a Linux and Microsoft free zone.

I _want_ to run FreeBSD. For years I've been tempted to switch to
Linux for SMP pthreads. FreeBSD seems to be in the stone age here.

All I want is to use the kernel threads code Dick has produced.

And I was looking at perhaps a change to the cc switches to make it
easier
to select kernel threads or userland threads.

Roger