Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:14:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, committers@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf abuse

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Mark Murray wrote:

> Well, doing that will also blow awayt your carefully crafted
> KERNEL file. That's why I put my kernel file into /usr/<mumble>/KERNEL
> and set a symlink so that blow-aways dont burn me. Perhaps the
> /<mumble>/make.conf could use something similar?
>
> > Perhaps /usr/local/etc/make.conf would be better?  Or at least a variable
> > (which can be defined in /etc/make.conf) which points to the file, so that
> > the admin can easily set local policy.
>
> I dont like the use of /usr/local for this; that is ports' property.

Arguing over where it should go is useless, because you'll never get
agreement (just look at us) and it's such an easy thing to make moot, by
letting the user, in their environment, have a $(MAKE_CONFIG_DIR).  I
agree with Mark's feelings, but we have to realize that some will think
Mark's wrong, and there isn't any good reason to force the issue.

Just allow the idea that someone may want to have a config file for their
tree builds.  The only question is whether that callout ought to be in
/usr/src/Makefile or in /usr/share/mk/sys.mk.  Since we want to restrict
it's application to the tree, I would stick it into src/Makefile.  I'd set
a .if exists(), and set a default for MAKE_CONFIG_DIR to /usr/src, so that
the file wouldn't exist, and the initial effect of the change would be
nil.  You want some local control, define MAKE_CONFIG_DIR in your
environment (heck, you could set that in /etc/make.conf!), and establish
the make.conf.  If you don't like that name, fine, it's pretty
unimportant, so take your choice.  *I* get to choose where it goes, and so
I get to choose whether I have one or not.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)