Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:04:10 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>, FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, maniatty@cs.albany.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Learning the FreeBSD Kernel

-On [20000124 08:01], Mike Smith (msmith@freebsd.org) wrote:
>> I can't agree with Mike Smith that reading the code is adequate.  It
>> certainly doesn't apply to newcomers, but it doesn't even apply to
>> seasoned hackers like Mike: the BSD style doesn't provide for adequate
>> comments, and so what you see from the code is mainly tactics, not
>> strategy.
>
>You miss my point; you don't want to be writing a driver until you know
>what you're doing.  Documentation on an OS' driver interface won't teach
>you that; it's something that's really only ever gleaned from experience.

This I agree on with Mike.  Writing device drivers isn't like writing an
application.

The documentation I am writing will definately not be a tutorial style
piece of documentation, but a reference guide with sufficient background
material so that people a bit familiar with FreeBSD on source level
(note the ``a bit'') will get enough ideas and clues from it to proceed
forwards.

I do not think making it a tutorial will be beneficial in the long run,
since I would have to discuss kernel sources, gdb, ddb and a number of
other things on the side.  But then again we will see where we will end.

I just know, from experience, that writing a driver involves more than
just code.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd W/Asmodai         asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/B-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best