Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:00:35 -0700
From:      Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 and cvsup servers

--------------enigF64796A535613D05AAC8CF65

(wearing my cvsup4/freebsd.isc.org hat on)

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> Some of my friends have been moving their machines into the world of
> IPv6.  It seems that the cvsup program is old enough that it doesn't
> know about IPv6 (true?).=20

Correct cvsup/cvsupd are written in Modula3, which doesn't know anything =

about IPv6 (and I am pretty certain that it likely never will)

> So they went to use the csup program in
> the base system, and while that seems to understand IPv6 just fine,
> they couldn't seem to make a connection to any of the official cvsup
> servers that they tried via IPv6.
>=20
> E.g:  "It looks like cvsup4.freebsd.org is refusing connections
>        on ipv6 despite it having an AAAA record."
>=20
> Is this expected?

Yes; for now.  Hopefully at some point there will be a IPv6-aware &=20
native replacement for cvsupd, and if so, I hope to be the first one=20
running it.

(and no I am not interested in 6tunnel'ing; this isn't 2003 anymore)

> Given that the servers are all using the cvsup
> program, it wouldn't surprise me if they can't handle connections
> from IPv6 hosts.  But if that's the case, then why are there AAAA
> records for the cvsup*.freebsd.org hostnames?

Because the mirror *.freebsd.org hostnames are in fact CNAME's; in=20
cvsup4's case it's pointed to freebsd.isc.org, which has the A & AAAA=20
records, and we do offer IPv6 for www5 and ftp4.

I don't really see it as a problem at the moment since IPv6 connections=20
via csup to cvsup4 are immediately refused and it retries on the IPv4=20
address which will hopefully just work. (I assume your friends are dual=20
stack and are not IPv6 only?)

> (apologies if this was a dumb question, but I haven't done much with
> IPv6)

No worries.  Hope this helps clear this up for you.

Best Wishes - Peter
--=20
Peter_Losher@isc.org | ISC | OpenPGP 0xE8048D08 | "The bits must flow"