Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 02:50:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        sue@welearn.com.au (Sue Blake)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, zula@distance.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: copying/duplicating disks: replacing IDE with scsi

Sue Blake wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 06:49:31PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, RPD wrote:
> >
> > > I have just added a scsi drive to my system, is there a way to cp
> > > everything from my IDE drive to my SCSI drive. Basicly looking to just
> > > duplicate everything from my IDE drive to my SCSI drive and take my IDE
> > > drive right out of the box. Any information would help.
> >
> > cp -p -R /disk1 /disk2
> >
> > -R is recursively copy, -p is preserve permissions.
>
> So why is copying sometimes done with tar instead of cp?

Well, tradition. These are new (I think) features to cp.

Tar produces an archive, i.e. a single file, as output, thus suiting
it for writing to character devices, like tapes. Also, tar has
lots of swell switches to play with.

Cpio (ATT's answer to tar, i.e. a SysV program) is yet another option.

This is part of the Joy of Unix -- several subtly incompatible ways of
doing the same thing. Makes for variety.  Like shells and text editors.

Dave
--
http://www.microsoft.com/security: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most
                  secure network operating system available.'