Date:      Thu, 31 May 2007 11:45:15 +0900 (GMT-9)
From:      Akihiro KAYAMA <kayama@personal-media.co.jp>
To:        cswiger@mac.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wall-clock time profiling

In article <465DB587.6010109@mac.com>,
Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> writes:

cswiger> Akihiro KAYAMA wrote:
cswiger> > Hi all.
cswiger> >
cswiger> > What is the right way to measure wall-clock time in profiling on FreeBSD?
cswiger>
cswiger> The time shell builtin command or "/usr/bin/time -l _program_"?
cswiger>
cswiger> The latter variant displays the rusage struct (ie, from "man getrusage")?

Thanks for your response.

Yes, we can know whether the program is I/O bound or CPU bound by
time(1). But it is still unclear which part of the program is really
waiting for I/O. So profiling is needed for tuning, although CPU time
profiling gives me non-distinct result on I/O bound programs.  It is
reason why I want wall-clock time profiling.

--
Akihiro KAYAMA