Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 2009 04:03:07 GMT
From:      Frank Durda IV <uhclem@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/140543: XCB issue prevents pidgin & xchat ports from compiling (on 7.2 + portsnap run at 00:00 14-Nov-2009)

>Number:         140543
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       XCB issue prevents pidgin & xchat ports from compiling (on 7.2 + portsnap run at 00:00 14-Nov-2009)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD walkoff.lonestar.org 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #0: Fri May  1 08:
49:13 UTC 2009     root@walker.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

The system was freshly installed (all filesystems newfs'ed),
and then portsnap was immediately performed at or about
00:00 GMT (14-Nov-2009).  After port updates were complete,
the following ports were built (first four of a long list):

shells/44-csh
sysutils/lsof
irc/xchat
net-im/pidgin

(I don't think the first two ports have anything to do
with the issue and are listed here only for completeness.
44-csh and lsof worked fine.)

For the xchat build at all option screens, [TAB] and OK was selected.
After compiling several dependent components normally, the build
aborts with complaints about the version  of "xcb" available not
meeting package requirements

> Requested 'xcb >=1.4' but version of XCB is 1.2

Similarly, attempting to build pidgin also fails when it tries to
use XCB.

I built these the two ports particular *after* portsnap because
I knew that Yahoo changed authentication protocols since the
7.2-Release and the newer versions of pidgin at least supposedly
addresses that issue, but currently neither port will compile
because of the dependency problem.

No doubt there are quite a few other ports also relying on XCB,
so this problem may have a considerably wider impact.

>How-To-Repeat:
Try to download and compile this port.
Don't change any offered check-boxes at any menu,
just [TAB] to OK and proceed.
It may be necessary to build this on a freshly-installed
system that has not built any GUI/X11-based programs yet,
in order to get it to fail.