Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 14:46:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org, obrien@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: gcc3 & alpha kernels

John Baldwin writes:
 > > Have you seen this on your alpha testbox?  Is your alpha testbox
 > > working?
 >
 > Matt Jacob had a VM object related panic with the old gcc.  Try backing
 > out Alan Cox's changes to remove Giant from some things in the VM
 > system adn see if it does better.

How would locking affect an issue this early in the boot process?  I
think we're dying in something called out of vm_mem_init(), which is
called out of SYSINIT(vm_mem, SI_SUB_VM, SI_ORDER_FIRST, vm_mem_init,NULL)

I'm going to NFS export my source tree & see if I can boot after
building the kernel on a -stable machine.

Drew