Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:04:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>, Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, cshenton@uucom.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2R pcm/sbc AWE records noise, not audio: 16 bit bug?; gus broken?

Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net> types:
> I have a SoundBlaster AWE64 in my -current machine, which was a very
> popular card, and I'm sure there are lots of them around.  As far as I
> know, apart from the AWE stuff (which I couldn't care less about), it
> should look like a SB16.  When I first got the thing, in the 2.2 days,
> it worked perfectly.  Along the way, it stopped working a couple of
> times due to PnP issues, but fiddling with the configuration brought
> it back.  Then I lost the ability to record anything but static, along
> with a bunch of other people, and there it has stayed ever since.

It's the recording that gets me. I had a similar SB card originally,
and it recorded fine under 3.x. With pcm, I get nothing but static. So
I bought two different cards (hey, sound cards are cheap) that the pcm
man pages lists as supported, the second also recommended by someone
on the multimedia list. Neither one can record worth beans.

While the pcm stuff has greatly simplified playback issues, it seems
like recording is being given short shrift. Personally, I wish old
interface hadn't been ripped out until pcm recording was in better
shape. However, I wasn't in a position to support it then - and
realisticly I'm still not - so it's as much my fault as anyones.

	<mike