Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:17:29 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ported software still not working

Hi Kevin,

You don't mention what version of FreeBSD you're using?  Sounds like
you have, say, 2.2.8-RELEASE and you're trying to use a newer ports
collection than that.

In cases like these, you proabably need the newer make include files too.

They are normally found in /usr/share/mk/*.mk

The 'FreeBSD Way' to keep all this synchronized and working is to use
cvsup to update your ports and sources and then doing a 'make world'.

I'd recommend that anyone interested in using FreeBSD as a full-time
desktop to learn how to build their system from sources.

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net