Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:31:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Anastasia Leventi-Peetz <leventi@fgan.de>
To:        users@ipv6.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [ BIND]

>I have installed BIND 9.1.2 on my Linux SuSE system.
>Until now it has worked good, lately it makes problems.
>It reacts very slowly on a query and sometimes it aborts with
>"unknown host soandso"
>I give ping soandso
>and after sometime comes the right answer
>and then again ping soandso
>and I get unknown host.
>If I give the full domain name after the host
>ping soandso.bla.bla.de , then it is no problem.
>Of course I have in /var/named/ the file bla.bla.de with the names
>and addresse and I have looked in /var/log/messages.
>The name server listens to the right interface and port (53)
>but additionally there I found
>binding TCP socket address in use
>
>any suggestions? Or is it a bug in BIND?
>
>Anastasia

in my /etc/resolv.conf there was the line
search local domain-name1 domain-name2

that was I think automatically from YaST SuSE so. I have erased local
and now it works with no problem. Another way is instaed of
search ...
to give simply
domain  domain-name
I have the impression the name server searches only the first domain and
the is timed out or something like that!

regards:Anastasia