Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 19:47:14 -0700
From:      Chris Tubutis <chris@tci.com>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>
Cc:        "John A. Hengstler" <john@salmon.hei.net>, bahwi <bahwi@technologist.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FrontPage questions

Shawn Ramsey wrote:

> > It amazes that people would even *think* of infecting a perfectly good,
> > usable UNIX system with a Redmond "product."  I run several Web servers
> > where I work, and I explicitly and intentionally keep that crap far away
> > from 'em.
>
> I don't like em anymore than the next guy... but if customers are banging
> down your door for Frontpage support, what are you supposed to do?

Yeah, I thought about this after I sent that message.  Please, nobody take
any offense at what I said; I certainly didn't mean to imply any.  I'm
kind of lucky in that my "customers" are all employees and don't really
have much of a choice in the matter.  I have to work in my employer's best
interests.  Luckily, Redmond makes it pretty easy for me to act the way I
do.  The security and interoperability considerations of using the FP
stuff were simply too great for me to start using them without some fairly
hefty changes in infrastructure design and operation.

Anyway... it seems that you don't really have too much of a choice (aside
from maybe putting up a stronger door :).  IIRC, the FP stuff is used only
during site development and management operations, and aren't needed or used
in everyday Web serving.  Regardless, if I had to use the stuff, I'd set
up a separate environment exclusively for hosting the web server(s) that
have been infected, then perhaps mirror the resulting content on uninfected
servers.  You can use virtual servers, URL forwarding and mod_rewrite to
make things appear to be coming from anywhere you'd like.

This leads back to the *original* problem - the stuff ain't working any more.
*sigh*  Things get so much more difficult when there's money involved.

ct

--
Chris Tubutis                                  | Tele-Communications, Inc.
TCI Advanced Information Technology            | AIT - Internal Networks