Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 12:52:05 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        walton@nordicdms.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Complete FreeBSD, 3rd edition (was: Printed man pages (was: Looking for the best webmaster.))

On Wednesday,  6 January 1999 at 14:13:48 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> Dave Walton wrote:

> What plans do you have for the next edition, Greg?. Timescales,
> changes etc?

I'm hoping to have it out by April.  I'm open to suggestions about
what should be included.

>> What I'd like to see is the "Selected man pages" section turn into
>> "Essential man pages".  That is, man pages for the commands you
>> need when you find yourself poking around in single user mode
>> trying to figure out ed enough to fix things.  Yes, there have been a
>> couple of times I would have killed for a printed ed man page --
>> please put that one on the list!  And, as  Graeme points out,
>> disklabel and newfs are good candidates, too.
>
> Might also be worth considering including some of the very long
> ones.

That's how the Second Edition got so big.  The First Edition didn't
have so many long man pages.

I think the better approach would be to consider a man pages book.  We
had thought of this back in 1995, but we never got round to doing it.
What do you people think?  The question isn't ``is it a good idea?'',
it's ``would you buy one?''.

Greg