Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 22:41:33 +0200
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD tutorials

Nik,
On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 11:56:58PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 07:33:18PM +0200, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> > [seperate download page]
>
> Several people have said this.  I'm still accepting complete submissions from
> anyone that wants to do the work.  Remember you have to cater for half a
> dozen languages, and another half dozen output formats.

6 languages x 6 formats x 10 documents = 360 links. Too many for a single
page. In other words, we will need seperate pages per language. We can't
use tables or we will confuse the lynx users. Ergo: Lists of lists.

> At this point I'll settle for ASCII mockups, as long as people can show
> they're feasible.

ASCII-mockup with embedded HTML, everything in {} is a comment, everything
in [] is ripped from the original page.

1) Opening page (www.freebsd.org/tutorials/index.html)
[Here lie assorted documents on various aspects of FreeBSD, FreeBSD
software, and hardware]. The language of these documents is english; the
format is split-html (i.e. a single html page per chapter). If you'd
prefer a different language and/or a different format, please chosse
one of the links at the bottom of this page.

The <b>doc</b> distribution contains many of these documents. If you
have choosen to include this distribution while you were installing
FreeBSD, you will find them in <a href="file://localhost//usr/share/doc">
/usr/share/doc</a>.

{The language needs some fixes by a natural speaker. Sorry for the mess}

[If you have comments or would like to contribute a document, please contact
us at freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org.]

{List of documents, links to the split html versions,
without the "also available as" links}

If you would prefer to download or view one of these documents in another
format and or another language, please choose one of the following links.

wrong, I eat french fries, I can't speak the language}
[... other languages deleted...]

2) A language specific page. Proposed URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/download-"english".html

{Everything in "" is a variable text, depending on the language}
{The various translations teams may want to translate the following
text}

Welcome to the FreeBSD Documentation Project's download page for
"english" documents. The available documents are listed below. Due
to a lack of time, resources and willing helpers, some
combinations of documents and formats may not be available in this
language. If you'd like to support the FreeBSD Documentation Project,
contact us "<a href="mailto:freebsd-doc@freebsd.org">by mail</a>".

{The localized pages should contain links to the mailing list of
the translation teams instead of freebsd-doc}

The <b>doc</b> distribution contains many of these documents. If you
have choosen to include this distribution while you were installing
FreeBSD, you will find them in <a href="file://localhost//usr/share/doc">
/usr/share/doc</a>.

* For People New to Both FreeBSD and Unix
  + <a href="whatever">tarball of split html</a>
  + <a href="somefile">postscript</a>
  [...]
* An introduction to the MH mail software
  [...]

If you would prefer to download or view one of these documents in another
language, please choose one of the following links.

wrong, I eat french fries, I can't speak the language}
[... other languages deleted...]

A demo of the HTML source to implement the lists of lists can be found
at: http://www.ruhr.de/home/nathan/test.html. The image links you to W3C's
validation service.

If you think that this format could be used, I'll whip up a complete set of
demonstration pages over the next weekend.

This weekend is already filled up :->

It should be possible to create these webpages with a script or two if
the machine with the script can access the various download directories
and if there's a deterministic and uniform way to determine if a given
combination of document, language and format can be downloaded.

/s/Udo
PS: Speaking of scripts - what's the final verdict about ports/20168?
Port, tools dir or toss?

--
"Finish the following setence: All power corrupts, absolute power..."
"...is even more fun."