Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:23:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sanders <fishy@netgate.net>
To:        cjc@scitec.com
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/11978: timed(8) manpage does not define '-F' switch

Hi,

First off, I'd like to thank you and all the other people who have emailed
me with feedback.  Now for the technical point about -F . . .

When you use the -M flag, the program sets a integer variable called Mflag
to 1.  When you use the -F flag, the program will also set this variable
to 1 (thus, by using the -F flag you automatically indicate that this
machine is eligable to become a master).  Also, when you use the -F flag,
timed.c will add the local machine's hostname to an array which contains
the list of trusted hosts (those who we accept as masters).

Thus, if we have a machine called bahfish.bah.net, and we call timed
using:

timed -F www.hotbot.com

Timed will set both the master flag and add the trusted host, so the call
above is the same as:

timed -M -F www.hotbot.com bahfish.bah.net

Does that answer your question?

- Nick

622F 07DD 2F14 86DB B4D1  B807 AACC D086 623A 67F6

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 cjc@scitec.com wrote:

> The following reply was made to PR docs/11978; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: cjc@scitec.com
> To: fishy@hotbot.com (Nick Sanders)
> Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, cjc@scitec.com
> Subject: Re: docs/11978: timed(8) manpage does not define '-F' switch
> Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:38:34 -0400 (EDT)

[SNIP]

>  However, there is one technical point that really needs to be
>  settled. Does the '-F' switch always imply '-M' even if the localhost
>  is not one of the arguments of '-F?' I _know_ that if I run a machine
>  with the following,
>
>  # timed -F timehost
>
>  Where timehost != localhost, that the machine _will_ act as a master
>  on other networks to which it is connected.
[SNIP]