Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:01:59 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Oben O. Candemir" <dunya@one.net.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD IRC channels and ??quality??

I have been using SysV Unices for 5-6 years and last year installed Linux
on my home machine. On the many occasions I required help; I got it from
Linux gurus on thr IRC channels on the irc.linpeople.org
servers and received excellent help. Along the way I helped many other
newbies with my general Unix knowledge. The Linux channels have an ethos
that says no question is dumb or lame. No one is kicked or banned from a
channel because of the pervasive 'calm' and responsiveness the 'elders'
provide to newbies. In fact I don't think the chanop paradigm is in
operation.

Now to the point...

I installed FreeBSD after reading many favourable reviews of it and the
time came to join an IRC channel for quick help... EFNET's #freebsd
channel to be precise. I had read the FAQ and it warned me that each of
the channels had a distinct 'style'. I must say that while on the channel
the amount of bullshit and tripe I witnessed was unbelievable. A
cliquey group of unix sysadmins were calling newbies 'lamers', 'loozers',
'lemurs', 'wankers', etc. Kicking and banning for very soft reasons. I saw
more profanity than what you would expect on a general channel. I was
apalled.

I'm not surprised the FreeBSD camp are playing 'second fiddle' to Linux in
the interested and willing 'newbies'; and the computer press'
consciousness.

As a convert to FreeBSD, I urge others interested in promoting FreeBSD to
clean up the act and present the OS on IRC channels in a friendlier
fashion.

PS: If you don't believe me either join the channel and ask a few
questions or look at the #FreeBSD channel logs for EFNET
located at http://www.emsphone.com/FreeBSD (yes think what you will, the
channels are logged) and judge the quality for yourselves.

Best Wishes
O Candemir