Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:43:37 +0000
From:      Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'cpdup' program, and question

On 26 January 1999, Matthew Dillon proclaimed:
>     I'll put it up on my web page for review.  Compile it up and run
>     'cpdup' without any arguments for help.
>
> 	http://www.backplane.com/FreeBSD/

Or, for the lazy amongst us, here's a port.  I labelled it v1.0 in lieu
of anything else...
--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

``Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.''
		-- Henry Spencer

# This is a shell archive.  Save it in a file, remove anything before
# this line, and then unpack it by entering "sh file".  Note, it may
# create directories; files and directories will be owned by you and
# have default permissions.
#
# This archive contains:
#
#	cpdup
#	cpdup/Makefile
#	cpdup/files
#	cpdup/files/md5
#	cpdup/files/Makefile
#	cpdup/pkg
#	cpdup/pkg/COMMENT
#	cpdup/pkg/DESCR
#	cpdup/pkg/PLIST
#
echo c - cpdup
mkdir -p cpdup > /dev/null 2>&1
echo x - cpdup/Makefile
sed 's/^X//' >cpdup/Makefile << 'END-of-cpdup/Makefile'
X# New ports collection makefile for:	cpdup
X# Version required:     1.0
X# Date created:		26 Jan 1999
X# Whom:			Dom Mitchell <dom@myrddin.demon.co.uk>
X#
X# $Id$
X#
XDISTNAME=	cpdup-1.0
XCATEGORIES=	sysutil
XMASTER_SITES=   http://www.backplane.com/FreeBSD/
XDISTFILES=	cpdup.c
XMAINTAINER=     dom@myrddin.demon.co.uk
XWRKSRC=		${WRKDIR}
Xdo-extract:
X	[ ! -d ${WRKDIR} ] && ${MKDIR} ${WRKDIR}
X	${CP} ${DISTDIR}/${DISTFILES} ${WRKSRC}
X	${CP} ${FILESDIR}/Makefile ${WRKSRC}
Xdo-install:
X	${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/cpdup ${PREFIX}/bin
X.include <bsd.port.mk>
END-of-cpdup/Makefile
echo c - cpdup/files
mkdir -p cpdup/files > /dev/null 2>&1
echo x - cpdup/files/md5
sed 's/^X//' >cpdup/files/md5 << 'END-of-cpdup/files/md5'
XMD5 (cpdup.c) = a9d3f6cf630e5a0fb0793c4a0d9dcba9
END-of-cpdup/files/md5
echo x - cpdup/files/Makefile
sed 's/^X//' >cpdup/files/Makefile << 'END-of-cpdup/files/Makefile'
X# $Id$
XPROG=cpdup
XNOMAN=waiting
XLDADD+= -lmd
X.include <bsd.prog.mk>
END-of-cpdup/files/Makefile
echo c - cpdup/pkg
mkdir -p cpdup/pkg > /dev/null 2>&1
echo x - cpdup/pkg/COMMENT
sed 's/^X//' >cpdup/pkg/COMMENT << 'END-of-cpdup/pkg/COMMENT'
Xcpdup is a filesystem hierarchy duplicator.
END-of-cpdup/pkg/COMMENT
echo x - cpdup/pkg/DESCR
sed 's/^X//' >cpdup/pkg/DESCR << 'END-of-cpdup/pkg/DESCR'
Xcpdup is a hierarchy duplicator. It will copy a source hierarchy
Xto a destination hierarchy and attempt to make the destination an
Xexact duplicate of the source, inclusive of removing files from
Xthe destination that do not exist in the source.
Xcpdup can deal with devices, softlinks, hardlinks, ownership, flags,
Xpermissions, mtime, and so forth. It uses stat() to determine
Xwhether it must copy a file so piecemeal updates are reasonably
Xefficient and restarts are not painful. cpdup uses a
Xcopy-to-temp-and-rename methodology which allows you to run it on
Xlive systems, and cpdup will use exception files contained in the
Xdirectories being copied ( in the SOURCE directory, not the
Xdestination! ) to determine what to ignore.
XFinally, cpdup is capable of running MD5 checks between the source
Xand destination hierarchies.
XAs a safety mechanism, cpdup will not cross partition boundries
Xwhile scanning either the source or the destination. Also, deletions
Xare confirmed by default. Do *NOT* use the -i0 option unless you
Xknow what you are doing!!!
Xhttp://www.backplane.com/FreeBSD/
END-of-cpdup/pkg/DESCR
echo x - cpdup/pkg/PLIST
sed 's/^X//' >cpdup/pkg/PLIST << 'END-of-cpdup/pkg/PLIST'
Xbin/cpdup
END-of-cpdup/pkg/PLIST
exit
the system manager.