Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 2014 22:37:29 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Who was the mental genius

--On June 5, 2014 at 8:08:35 PM -0700 Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
wrote:

> On 6/5/14, 7:32 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> --On June 5, 2014 at 11:50:38 PM +0200 Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
>> wrote:

>>> No it was not done "deliberately"
>>>
>>> Newer freebsd version moved to a newer make utility, and support for the
>>> old one has been dropped after support for all old releases containing
>>> it was ceased.
>>>

>> So they dropped the support accidentally?  Is this really the time to
>> argue semantics?
>>
>>> Which releases are supported and for how long is well known, and
>>> published in here when a new release is published:
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup
>>>
>>> The updates are free, as in "no payment needed". What's keeping you from
>>> performing a binary update of the base system every year or so?
>>>

>> I have two hosts on the internet for which the backup system failed.
>> I didn't catch it right away, so now I'm several days behind on
>> backups.  I need to install a new system, but it requires ports I
>> don't yet have installed.  So now I have two options; upgrade with my
>> fingers crossed and hope it works or scramble to find some way to
>> backup before I upgrade just in case the upgrade fails.
>>
>>> Running such an old system as any of the unsupported releases is also
>>> most probably exposing you to security vulnerabilities.
>>>

>> First of all, 8.3 is not an old system.  Secondly, you used to be able
>> to run "old" systems for a long time after support was dropped without
>> encountering issues like this.  Finally, I'm a port maintainer of a
>> fair number of ports, so FreeBSD isn't free for me.  I put a lot of
>> time into it.
>>
>> When such a drastic change is made, it should be well advertised in
>> advance (think the pkgng announcement you get every time you install a
>> port) and not implemented in such a disruptive manner. It's clear from
>> the forum announcement that I linked to that I was not the only one
>> caught by surprise and that it didn't even work on supported versions
>> when the change was first implemented.
>>
>>> Sometimes to change things you need to break compatibility, the project
>>> did wait till it was coherent with what was promised before doing this.
>>>

>> What you call "the project" is made up of people.  SOMEONE should be
>> thinking through the impact on end users and helping to plan such
>> major transitions in a way that's least disruptive IF you want the
>> system to remain viable.
>>
>> Perhaps this is part of the reason adoption of FreeBSD has dropped so
>> dramatically over the years.  I'm retiring in 18 months.  When I
>> leave, the last FreeBSD system goes with me.  No one is even
>> interested in learning it any more.  FreeBSD used to rule the web.
>> Now it's Linux.  There's a lesson in there for those that are
>> listening, but apparently "the project" is not. Which is sad, because
>> FreeBSD, IMNSHO, is a very good OS.
>>
>> There's no need to respond to this.  I'm just venting.  And clearly my
>> opinion doesn't matter anyway.
> [...]

Something like that would have been more than adequate.  As I pointed out,
the warning you get about pkgng and the 9/1/2014 deadline is perfect.  It's
been there for a couple of months, and it pops up ever time you do a port.
If you miss that and don't convert, you don't have anyone but yourself to
blame.

Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst