Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:36:29 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: function call failures

> from comp.arch a reference (http://www.ices.cmu.edu/ballista/ftcs98/) to
> a test of function call failures. FreeBSD did not fair too well compared
> to other OSes.

These aren't failures and we've already had a flame-fest over a
pre-release of this paper. :-)

A failure is an [un]expected condition which produces an undesired
result.  When you pass NULL to strlen(), it is a desirable result for
it to dump core just as surely as if you'd gone *((int *)0) = 10; You
WANT those errors to crop up early so you can figure out what else
went wrong to get an unchecked string into a function which is now
blithely passing it around to other routines not written to take NULL
as a valid argument.  Yes?  I think most people here can agree with
that.

This guy, however, calls it a failure when his test suite passes all
manner of bogus arguments to various library functions, functions
which are not documented as accepting arbitrarily bogus pointers, and
one of them dumps core.  He's arguing from a fundamentally different
viewpoint here and, like the wackos in aviation circles who keep
wanting to do things like reintroduce the bat-wing design to civil
aviation, I don't find it useful to pay it much attention. :-)

- Jordan