Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 20:46:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        thompson@tgsoft.com (mark thompson)
Cc:        dyson@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 82371SB IDE interface

> uhm. so you elided the bit at the top that showed that the wdc
> controller was found on the isa bus. That implies to me that FreeBSD
> will use the isa bus to talk to the controller, right?

Heavens no.  The hardware makes it look like it is on the ISA bus,
but it isn't really.  You can get some really high transfer rates
because the ISA bus is bypassed.

> 2nd question... should i be thinking in terms of adding code to the piix
> driver to make it work?

Would be a good, productive project.  I'd use it if you'd get it working.
I am willing to give you a bit of help if you want.  The PIIX docs
are online at Intel also.

John