Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 23:35:35 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Sergey <serge69@nym.alias.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

> > You write to tell us now that a release that was produced some four
> > months ago is (was?) unstable?
> >
> > Have you noticed that we've done another release since then?
> >

>   As far as I know,  there are same problems in new releases. I've talked
>   with some person who experince same instability in 3.2-R.

You have verified the cause of the alleged instability in both cases,
and proven it to be the same?  If you know exactly what's causing this
problem, why haven't you told us so that we can fix it?

If you have nothing more scientific than "it crashes eventually", how
can you claim that this is the "same instability"?

> > Have you stopped to consider that it isn't even slightly helpful to
> > report problems with FreeBSD _after_ a release?  We depend on our users
> > to tell us about problems on the -stable branch before it's rolled into
> > a release, not afterwards.  If you're not willing to take part in this
> > process, your complaints are likely to be ignored at the very least.
>
>   If I report problem, Is not time to ask me about details at least?

No.  You should be including the details in your initial report.  Why
should we have to drag them out of you?

>   If you close eyes on problems in past releases - you'll leave it in future
> too!!!

If we went around staring at every half-assed complaint, we'd go blind.
We get the best results from attacking problems where the original
plaintiff has supplied lots of useful details.  Trying to fix whatever
you're complaining about is likely to be almost impossible, and there's
a good chance that your problem has already been fixed.

> > In your case, I can't work out what it is that you want to achieve
> > here; the problems with 3.1 are well known and have mostly been
>
>   Yours ATTENTION is my target ;)

You're not getting my attention, you are pissing me off.  This waffle
from you is simply going to make me, and quite possibly other people,
pay _less_ attention to you than before.

>   I WANT (and CAN) help, but no one interested in !!!

You're not demonstrating this.  Prove your intentions and your ability
by doing the smart and sensible things, not making vague and
unsubstantiated claims.

> > addressed in 3.2.  There are ongoing issues that are being worked on,
> > with help from various people (yourself notably not included).
> >

>   If problem is random in nature you can't find it NEW releases,
>   just because it is needed time to happened. I should wait for 3 days
>   at least to check is this fixed!!!

A -release is generally functionally identical to the -stable branch
that has lead up to it.  This is why we freeze the CVS repository
before the release, and why we ask people like you to TEST it.

If you only complain about a months-old release, nobody is going to be
able to help you.  Do you understand this?

>   I've found a lot of problems in PR and archives. They are old dated and
>   looking as dead for monthes - no audit trail, no discussion.

See above inre: what is worth working on.

> > If you want to see future releases perform better than the one you're
> > whining about now, I suggest you get busy contributing something more
> > useful than your current load of hot air.
> >
> I'm ready, I want, but I don't understand how!!! I can claim about problem,
> I can reproduce it, I can give you more info.... Even more I can start
> tracing if you give me hints!

You claim to have read the list archives; they are full of explanations
of the debugging process.

> *** But how can I do something if YOU just ignore issue ??? ***

You cannot accuse us of not helping you, when it is you that is meant
to be helping us.  The issue is going to be ignored until you collect
the same basic information that everyone else does, and until you
upgrade through all of the changes that have been made which might
affect your problem.

The only way that we can help you is if you first help yourself.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org