Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2018 19:00:41 +0200
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        "Danilo G. Baio" <dbaio@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help with generating the translated handbook correctly

--LrGPXyd9hLs09B5r1kC5bKj2sqyBJSKP1
From: Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To: "Danilo G. Baio" <dbaio@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: doc@FreeBSD.org

--zzsWmRyOfnRd75L8GgDhPUxGfPo17GvBR

On 9/8/18 7:46 PM, Danilo G. Baio wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 05:44:46PM +0200, Guido Falsi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> While translating the handbook to Italian I'm generating in work in
>> progress copies of the handbook. I'm following instructions from the
>> primer, but I'm not getting exactly what I expect.
>>
>> In detail some paragraphs from the handbook which do have translations=

>> in the po file get anyway rendered in English.
>>
>> To generate the html file I'm doing:
>>
>> % cd doc/head/it_IT.ISO8859-15/books/handbook/
>> % cp /path/to/it_IT.po .
>> % make tran
>> % make FORMATS=3Dhtml
>>
>> The po file I'm using can be viewed here:
>>
>> https://github.com/madpilot78/FreeBSD-doc-it/tree/master/books/it_IT
>>
>> The resulting output is here:
>>
>> https://people.freebsd.org/~madpilot/ItalianTranslation/handbook.html
>>
>> If you go the section 1.3 About the FreeBSD Project you can see the
>> string of the title itself is in English (should read "Informazioni su=
>> FreeBSD Project"), and also below that in the history part the 1st, 4t=
h,
>> 5th and 6th paragraphs are in english.
>>
>> If you look at the .po file you'll see there actually are translations=

>> there for these paragraphs, and I also double checked they're not mark=
ed
>> as drafts.
>>
>> I'm clearly doing something wrong or missing some point. Anyone so kin=
>> to spare a little time helping me with this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> --=20
>> Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
>=20
>=20
> Hi.
>=20
> This happens because the English document was changed.
>=20
> I suggest you to freeze your testing repository with the same revision =
at Zanata.
>=20
> When the English document is updated, the PO file is merged and all str=
ings changed became "fuzzy".
>=20
> For instance:
>=20
> #. (itstool) path: sect1/title
> #: book.translate.xml:2321
> msgid "About the FreeBSDProject"
> msgstr "Informazioni sul FreeBSD Project"
>=20
>=20
> $ make tran
> it_IT.po exists, merging
> [...]
>=20
>=20
> #. (itstool) path: sect1/title
> #: book.translate.xml:2323
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "About the FreeBSD=A0Project"
> msgstr "Informazioni sul FreeBSD Project"
>=20

Hi again,

I finally solved the problem.

My pot file was actually aligned with the local checkout I'm using. The
problem was I generated the pot file the wrong way.

The correct command was:

xgettext -L PO -o handbook.pot it_IT.po

Your help has been useful anyway in putting me on the right track!

Thanks again!