Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 19:25:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        daemon@bee.cs.kiev.ua (System Daemon)
Subject:   Re: your mail

It seems that System Daemon said:
> I ask you about experience (good/bad) about 1G SCSI-2 drives.
> I have found one from Conner here for ~$280. Sounds attractive
> (most other drives are in the $350-$400 range), but I am not
> totally sure about its speed/reliability.

Some friends and I have tested several:

- Micropolis: bad things overall. At least three failed recently and a 9 GB
  too.  We think  that recent  Micropolis  drives are  not reliable anymore
  which is a  pity. I have an  old 1624 (640  MB) which  3  yrs old and  is
  working perfectly albeit hotly :-)

- Conner: I have a 1080S and I'm very happy with it. Avoid the 1060S if you
  don't want to upgrade the  firmware. Some series  have a bug which appear
  with fast drivers like NCR and Aha-2940. The 1080S is a fast drive.

- Seagate: I have a Hawk ST-31200N and I'm very happy too. I don't know the
  new models (31230N). The 31200N is a little slower then the Conner.

- IBM: three friends brought a very recent IBM drive  (not the 662 which is
  at  least 2 yrs old and  very hot) and they  seem very  happy. It has not
  been long enough to see if they will be  reliable but they works fine for
  now.

- Quantum: avoid the Fireball series, it is a old drive repackaged with a
  lower MTBF and  a shorted warranty (3 yrs  / 5 usual  ones @ Quantum).  I
  think the Capella are good ones but I have not tested them.

Rod will probably give   even more information  as  he tends to test  every
drive out there :-)
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #1: Sun Nov 12 16:47:05 MET 1995