Date:      Sat, 24 May 2008 13:22:44 -0700
From:      "Kelly Jones" <kelly.terry.jones@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CPU@home - does free distributed computing exist?

There are several projects (like SETI@home, Einstein@home,
folding@home, etc) that let you donate spare CPU power to a specific
cause.

Is there a project that lets you donate spare CPU power to anyone who
needs it? That is, a pool of CPU power that anyone can tap into for
free to run computations that would otherwise take forever?

I realize it's dangerous to let people run random commands on your
system, so this would be limited to pure mathematical functions or
something like that (no disk/network access), w/ donator-specified
limits on memory/etc.

I also realize calling functions over the network is 2 orders of
magnitude slower than calling them in memory, so this would only be
useful if you could distribute a large number of CPU-intensive
parallel function calls.