Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 2009 16:07:25 -0400
From:      PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I hate to bitch but bitch I must

Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:29:04 -0400, PJ <af.gourmet@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> It is simple to understand Emglish but not so simple what was meant by
>> whoever wrote it...I cannot correct something that I do not uderstand...
>> come on, man, that should be easy to understand.
>>

> As English is not my native language, I *now* understand the
> meaning of "it should"; in this case, it seems to mean something
> like "basically, it is supposed to, but in this case, it does
> not", regarding the desired action.

To be as precise as possible, it means normally it should work so go
ahead; then the question is - what do you mean by normally.
In our case above, the instructions were to do the operation with the
disk not in use and the os in SUM. That's very clear. Now, I f they
wanted to point out a bug, the bug means that there is an anomaly under
certain circumstances - and in this case there really is no bug as it is
very clear as to how the instructions should be used. If they consider
the operation under a live files system a bug, then they should just
make a warning and say something along the lines of "do not use on live
system as that may destroy data" or something to that effect.

>> I am afraid that with all the globalization people still do not
>> understand that translations should be left to experts... an by that I
>> mean the final version should always, and I mean always, be by a native
>> speaking person.
>>

> It's still possible that non-native speakers misunderstand.

Of course... but what you need is cooperation between the two - and both
should have some understanding of the particular area of expertise they
are dealing with.

Just a note: I find it strange that nobody looked into the problem of
the confusion... I thought I had pointed out where the co;nfusion
arises... and no one seems to have either understood the inconsistencies
or bothere to read the explanation... oh well... let's keep on
blundering away... ;-)