Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 1997 18:18:14 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lib/libF77 and lib/libI77

> Why they are not in the standard build order, I'm at a loss, but if
> you lose these libs, then you lose fortran...

Then we must have "lost" fortran some time ago because these libs
simply haven't been *available* for any fortran programmer who either
didn't load the source distribution or did load the source
distribution AND didn't just happen to know to go build in those two
directories, after of course building a Makefile by hand for the one
lib which needs one and fixing the other lib, which currently doesn't
even compile.

I don't know about you, but assuming that any reasonable percentage of
FreeBSD fortran programmers has made it past that chain of hurdles
rather strains credulity, and I don't think we're any closer to the
answer as to just *what* these directories are doing there!  They
don't build and they're not called by anything I can find, so rather
than just tossing off a knee-jerk response in reaction a set of file
names you recognise, why not tell me exactly *how* these files are
being used by FreeBSD if you want to be of some actual help here, OK? :-)

					Jordan