Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:06:01 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@express.ru>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Reflections on the Sony Vaio F709 (F590K ?)

Nik Clayton writes:

 > Overall it's a good solid machine, and it runs FreeBSD nicely.  However,
 > there are a few niggles that prospective purchasers should be aware of.
 > FWIW, I'm running FreeBSD-current on it from about Thursday 17th August.
 >
 > First off, suspend to disk doesn't work.  The F270 was great in this
 > respect.  As shipped, it had a special partition at the end of the disk.
 > I didn't fiddle with this partition when I installed FreeBSD, and because
 > of this, I could suspend and resume to disk (or memory) until the cows
 > came home.

I have same problem with my SONY VAIO Z505S

 > The 709 didn't have this partition when I received it.  In addition, the
 > first time I booted it up (it had Windows pre-installed) it started up
 > PHDISK.EXE which informed me that it was prepping the suspend file.  I
 > suspect that these machines now expect to be able to write to a file on
 > a FAT partition somewhere in order to successfully suspend.  While this
 > does gain you back some disk space (on the order of whatever the maximum
 > physical memory you can install in to the machine), it means you can't
 > suspend to disk any more :-(  Suspend to memory still works with no problems
 > however.

But, whe I've asked in SONY support they say that PFDISK can configure
both variant ov hybernation (suspend to disk) and send me instruction
how to do this, If you need I can forward it to you.

 > Related to this, I can no longer press Fn+F2 to get a display of the
 > remaining battery life.  On the F270 this bought up a graphic display
 > showing the life remaining, and whether or not it was running off AC
 > power.  That feature's now gone.
 >
 > I'm hypothesising, but I suspect Fn+F2 is now supposed to trigger the OS
 > to do it's own display.  When I ran Windows on the F270 it intercepted
 > the request and put up its own graphical display instead.

For me Fn+F2 works great (battary status), but volume control did not work

 > I can still use tools like apm(8), and various X battery monitors, so it's
 > no great loss.

Yes, apm works but shows twice more time to work than real power in battary.

 > Secondly, the internal modem doesn't seem to work with FreeBSD.  It's
 > probed (along with the regular serial port) with no problems, as
 >
 > sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
 > sio0: type 16550A
 > sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
 > sio2: configured irq 5 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0x404
 > sio2 at port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5 on isa0
 > sio2: type 16550A
 > sio3: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0

it seems you see not modem, but IR-port

I have

sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A

But, I've changed IR-port IRQ in BIOS setup for match this.

 > and I can tip(1) to cuaa2.  But if I type anything the machine freezes.
 > The F270 didn't have an internal modem, so this wasn't a problem.  I have
 > to hand a COM1 MC220 Modem Card, which has done sterling duty in the 270.
 > So I tried that instead.  While it's detected by pccardd, it can't assign
 > a driver for it.  So, for the time being, I'm using an external modem
 > in sio0.  Sadly, there's no option to disable the internal modem in the
 > BIOS, and disabling the internal serial port didn't make any difference.

I have no problem with PCMCI port, but I've need to specify

io      0x240-0x360
irq     3 10 11
memory  0xd0000  96k

in pccard.conf

 > Speaking of BIOS options, I tried compiling in USB support in to the kernel.
 > One of the boot messages then said that "PNPOS" in the BIOS needed to be
 > set to 'OFF' for this to work properly.  It then continued booting up
 > properly.  So I rebooted, set PNPOS to off in the BIOS, and tried to
 > bring FreeBSD up.  It hung just after the IDE disk probes. . .

for me USB support works too (FDD, Keyboard, Mouse)

 > And talking about hangs, "device pcm" works nicely in the F270, allowing
 > audio to work, MP3s to play (albeit they sound somewhat tinny).  Not a
 > sausage on the F709.  "device pcm" will cause the kernel to hang midway
 > through the boot.  This is probably because the F709 uses a different
 > NeoMagic chipset to the one on the F270.

Sound for me works well too, but when I've upgraded to -current It
brokes, so I have to roll back to -stable

--
TSB Russian Express, Moscow
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov, vova@express.ru