Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:59:55 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "n.v.t n.v.t" <joefso@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd and performance

--6Nae48J/T25AfBN4

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 11:15:57AM +0000, n.v.t n.v.t wrote:

> Know you guys coming close to the 5.3 -stable release alot of users are=
=20
> going to upgrade/switch, right, because this is what we have been waiting=
=20
> for. What about the performance that 4.X had? Will the performance be equ=
al=20
> ? Will it be having better performance? Even on low end machines? And=20
> especially sinds freebsd is becoming more and more ready for desktop use,=
=20
> performance is a big issue on desktops.(look at Gnu/Linux for example,=20
> which I have been using for a very long time know, and all I can remember=
=20
> is that almost all of the releases have scheduling/latency issues. When I=
=20
> was using 2.2/2.4/2.6 All I have seen where low latency patches. What abo=
ut=20
> freebsd?

Benchmarks I've seen show 5.3 performing better than 4.x in many
workloads.  Try it yourself and see if you like it :)

> I have only been reading the bsd section at slashdot so I don't know much=
=20
> about the progress you guys are making on the feature release. Is there a=
=20
> offical news site for freebsd users? Like openbsd has *deadly.org.

www.freebsd.org :-)

bsdnews.com is also good; slashdot.org is probably the worst possible
news source you could be reading :-)

> What about the compile flags freebsd RC is using compared to 5.3 -stable=
=20
> will there be a lot of changes?

No changes.

> What about gnome packages? Will 2.8 make it in 5.3 stable (iso)?

No, the ports tree is already frozen and packages are built.

> If those things are taking a while to be there, does fbsd have any kernel=
=20
> patches like linux does to improve desktop performance? For example like:=
=20
> http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/

Not that I'm aware of, we like to commit patches that improve
performance instead of leaving them out :-)

Kris

--6Nae48J/T25AfBN4

--6Nae48J/T25AfBN4--