Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:22:45 +0100
From:      krad <kraduk@googlemail.com>
To:        Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fix remote degraded gmirror

2009/9/28 Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>

> I have a freebsd 6.1 system with a gmirror raid 1 which is degraded.
>
> Originally I had /dev/ad4 & /dev/ad6, but I'm getting a degraded status and
> log messages reporting dergraded status and uncorrectable block for ad4.
>
> Obviously I need to remove the device and get it replaced and then insert
> back into the mirror.
>
> However, this is a remote machine and I need to get the right disk fixed.
>
> Is there a way I can get the colocation engineer to replace the right disk?
>
> I guess I need to do 1) figure out what kind of disk this is and 2) figure
> out some information to allow them to identify.
>

> I looked at the smartctl output and see this
>
> /dev/ad4
> Device Model:     WDC WD1600JS-22MHB0
> Serial Number:    WD-WCANM4438410
>
> /dev/ad6
> Device Model:     WDC WD1600JS-22MHB0
> Serial Number:    WD-WCANM4434657
>
> is this sufficient to enable a data centre engineer to fix my problem?
> --
> Robin Becker

probably not but possibly. What is the server you have is it a custom build
one? Does it have a drive cage? Can you make the hd light blink?

Is the remote hands going to go inside the case for you, as I think he might
to have to trace the cables to work out what drive is the correct one?

Personally I would recommend that you or one of your trusted engineers goes
down an replaces the drive yourself. Remote hands engineers in my experiance
are a bit crude, and at the end of the day dont care about your box as much
as you would.

While you or your guy is down there he could do a proper job and label up
all the drives so in future you can get remote hands to do it all for you.