Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 16:54:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Norman C. Rice" <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP <FreeBSD-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail relaying

On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Norman C. Rice wrote:

> The standard configuration file, /usr/src/sendmail/freebsd.mc, has
>
>  FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)dnl
>
> which allows relaying as follows (from sendmail's cf/README):
>
>  relay_based_on_MX
>        Turns on the ability to allow relaying based on the MX
>        records of the host portion of an incoming recipient.  See
>        description below for more information before using this
>        feature.
>
>  You can also allow relaying based on the MX records of the host
>  portion of an incoming recipient address by using
>
>      FEATURE(relay_based_on_MX)
>
>  For example, if your server receives a recipient of user@domain.com
>  and domain.com lists your server in its MX records, the mail will be
>  accepted.  Note that this will stop spammers from using your host to
>  relay spam but it will not stop outsiders from using your server as a
>  relay for their site.

I simply stopped all relaying whatsoever, I'm behind a slow modem and to
use me is pretty ridiculous unless you're up to something shady.

I thank all you guys who showed me what to do!  Could I press one step
further, and ask how I get procmail wired in, so that I can use
automated filtering based upon some net database like the realtime
blackhole list?  I use Pine as my MTA, and I don't want to change that,
but I'm not sure how to shoehorn procmail into that.

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic and jaunt, both FreeBSD-current.
(301) 220-2114              |