Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@bitmailer.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very Common Question

On 20 Feb 1999, Simon J Mudd wrote:

> I'm not too sure of the licensing situation with FreeBSD, although
> from the comments I think it's not GPL.  this may be an issue for some
> people: I'm not sure.

I think the main concept behind the FreeBSD liscense is that they don't
want to force people to distribute source code for a product they've made
using FreeBSD in part or in whole.  This enables you to modify the code
however you want and then sell it for profit.  By the regular public
liscence it is illegal to do this.  So in that sense, the FreeBSD liscense
is even less restrictive.

  Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering